National Skills Coalition is launching a California Advocacy & Policy Academy (CAPA) for people from nonprofit community-based organizations (CBOs) in California who want to build their capacity to engage in workforce development policy and advocacy activities. Applications for participation are currently being accepted and are due November 7, 2019.
Community-based organizations play a critical role in recruiting and training workers, providing culturally competent services, and supporting people as they work to fulfill their career aspirations. Yet too often, state skills policies fail to support these organizations. CAPA will empower participants to change this narrative. CAPA will be a platform to better connect the work being done at the local level and the decisions being made at the state policy level. Participants in CAPA will have the opportunity to examine how CBOs and non-profit service providers can inform and be supported by state skills training policies.
The goals of CAPA are to:
- Build the capacity of CBO leaders and nonprofit service providers to engage in state workforce development policy.
- Empower more CBOs and nonprofit service providers to become more active advocates for workforce development policy change.
- Educate and widen participants understanding of key workforce development policy issues, the policymaking process, and landscape.
- Examine and understand how CBOs can inform and be supported by state skills training policies.
- Create a community of practice that unearths and elevates best practices that impact policy change and decisions.
Academy members should represent CBOs or non-profit providers that are:
- Expanding high-quality, industry-based job training and/or support services across California.
- Working towards a more equitable economy.
- Committed to removing systemic barriers and creating more opportunities for people who have been structurally disconnected from economic opportunity.
The Academy will officially launch in February 2020 and will include four in-person workshops through November 2020. Participants will be expected to attend the 2020 Skills for California Summit in Sacramento on May 13-14, 2020*.
To apply and learn more, please download the full application here.
*A stipend will be provided to cover the cost of travel and any necessary lodging